Northwest Prairie Mix
Cover large sites economically, support pollinators and wildlife, even suitable for grazing!
With our most diverse mix of native grasses ever, as well as some reliable wildflower species, this seed mix is the optimal foundation for any large-scale meadow or prairie.
Based on extensive customer feedback, this formulation includes enough species diversity to ensure good coverage on most types of soils and conditions, ranging from wet properties and pastures to dry rain-shadow conditions with sandy-loam type soils.
Additionally, while there are fewer wildflowers than our standard Native Pollinator Meadow Mix, this plant assemblage does include species that will flower from spring to fall, providing a source of pollen and nectar throughout the growing season. At less than $0.03 per square foot, this is an incredible value for large area plantings.
Specific uses can include:
- Low-maintenance lawn alternative for large properties
- A 100% native grassland “matrix” or “foundation” that can be enhanced with additional wildflowers or transplants for cost-effective restoration
- Fast-establishing erosion control, land reclamation, or habitat mitigation for land developers and green infrastructure projects
- Septic drainfield vegetation to reduce tree encroachment and absorb subsoil moisture
- Native pasture or hayfield that can be rotationally grazed (note that unlike other lupine species, the riverbank lupine in this mix has low levels of alkaloids and is compatible with livestock grazing)
- Early successional habitat for areas that will later be re-forested
- Riparian buffers to protect water quality
- Organic farm buffers between adjacent property boundaries
- Functional forage and breeding habitat for upland mammals, grassland songbirds, pollinators, and meadow wildlife
Seed Mix Contents:
Annual Wildflowers 16%
Globe Gilia (Gilia capitata), Farewell to Spring (Clarkia amoena)
Perennial Wildflowers 14%
Self Heal (Prunella vulgaris), Western Yarrow (Achillea millefolium), Large Camas (Camassia leichtinii), Canada Goldenrod (Solidago canadensis), Riverbank Lupine (Lupinus rivularis), Wooly Sunflower (Eriophyllum lanatum)
Native Grasses 70%
Roemer’s Fescue (Festuca romerii), Tufted Hairgrass (Deschampsia cespitosa), Meadow Barley (Horedum brachyantherum), Blue Wild Rye (Elymus glaucus), California Brome (Bromus carinatus), California Oatgrass (Danthonia californica), Red Fescue (Festuca rubra)
Please check out planting instructions for mixes here. You can do this!